AmeriCorps Health Fellows Program
The AmeriCorps Health Fellows is CCALAC’s Workforce Pipeline program focused specifically on increasing access to comprehensive primary care for Los Angeles County’s medically under-resourced. In partnership with California Volunteers the CCALAC AmeriCorps Health Fellows program places AmeriCorps Health Fellows at various community clinics across Los Angeles County.
Selected AmeriCorps Health Fellows serve at one of CCALAC’s Member clinics and serve Full-Time (1700 hours). They work in a variety of roles including: outreach, enrollment, health education, case management, and quality improvement. In exchange, AmeriCorps Health Fellows receive a $25,500 living allowance disbursed in bi-weekly installments. Full time members are also eligible for health insurance, student loan forbearance, mileage reimbursement, and two Education Awards totaling $10,000. In addition, AmeriCorps members receive monthly CCALAC trainings, clinic trainings, participate in community service projects, and have the opportunity to attend CCALAC’s annual Symposium.
The CCALAC AmeriCorps Health Fellows program is ideal for recent high school and college graduates interested in pursuing a career in community or those wanting to work and learn about community health centers, the populations they serve, and their operations and functions. Many of CCALAC’s past AmeriCorps members have gone on to successfully be admitted to medical school, MPH programs or have been hired by their host site clinic! To learn more about AmeriCorps in general, please visit the national AmeriCorps website.
The application for the 2023-2024 program year is now open and will close on June 30, 2023 at 11:59pm PST. The program is tentatively scheduled to begin on September 11, 2023 and end on July 31, 2024.
- Application Deadline: June 30, 2023 at 11:59pm PST
- 1st Round Interviews: June and July 2023
- 2nd Round Interviews (with clinics): August 2023
- Selection and Registration: Late August/Early September 2023
- $25,000 living allowance
- 2 education awards totalling $10,000
- Health insurance
- Sick time and personal time off
- Monthly professional development trainings
- Loan forbearance on most federal loans
- Mileage reimbursement for travel to and from trainings and service projects
- Opportunity to receive work experience, work references, and letters or recommendation
- Must be able to work full time (40 hours per week) and complete 1700 hours (September 2023-July 2024)
- Must be a US citizen or legal permanent resident
- Must be at least 18 and have a high school diploma (some college preferred)
- Must be able to pass state, federal, and sex offender background checks
- Bilingual in Spanish, Chinese—Mandarin or Cantonese (preferred but not required)
- Ability to travel to CCALAC offices for orientation, monthly trainings and community service projects
- Other clinic requirements: Negative TB test, immunization records, COVID-19 vaccination, physical, etc.
|PARTICIPANTS:||Members by Application|
|FREQUENCY:||AmeriCorps Health Fellows serve at one of CCALAC Member clinic, Full-Time|
|SPONSORED BY:||Grant funds, plus host matching fees from participating clinics|
|STAFF CONTACT:||Johnette Gonzalez|
Application for 2023 -2024 is open!
Administered by CaliforniaVolunteers and sponsored by AmeriCorps.