Posted: November 6, 2018
The following resources were mentioned at the October 26 Policy Cafe featuring Clare Fox, Executive Director of The Los Angeles Food Policy Council.
- Good Samaritan Food Donation Act – this link provides valuable info about the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act and liability concerns, as well as contact information for Bernadette Silva-Garcia at LA County who can answer further questions.
- Los Angeles County Food Redistribution Initiative (LACFRI)
- LAFPC’s Food Recovery Guide
- Youth Policy Institute (YPI) collaboration with supermarkets for nutrition program – the grant that funded the veggie voucher pilot was USDA Food Insecurity Nutrition Incentive Grant Program. There was no follow up grant. LAFPC would love to partner with interested attendees on veggie vouchers at healthy corner store projects, as they saw how effective it was (it is a matter of finding more funding). Click here for a brief case study that explains how veggie vouchers were used to successfully expand access to healthy food through the Healthy Neighborhood Market Network.
- Vouchers 4 Veggies with Eat SF
- Market Match via Hunger Action LA
- Starbucks FoodShare Program
- Fruit & Veggie Prescription Program – toolkit from Wholesome Wave
- LA Promise Zone (Hollywood/Mid-City) and SLATE-Z (South LA) both have open and active working groups and would welcome CCALAC members to get involved.
- Los Angeles Trade Tech College (LATTC) – LATTC is the lead agency for SLATE-Z, see above.
- Food Research & Action Center – submit comments regarding the proposal to expand the definition of a “public charge.” Food Research & Action Center (FRAC) Toolkit. Hunger-related messaging about public charge via FRAC. LAFPC’s statement on public charge here. California Food Policy Advocates have developed templatecomments for your use.
- DPSS/CalFresh contact – e-mail Rogers Munoz for more information
- Los Angeles Regional Food Bank – e-mail Roger Castle for more information
- Food Forward – e-mail Pearson King for more information