Latest News on Public Charge: On November 4th, 2020, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals stayed yesterday’s decision in Illinois to vacate the DHS public charge rule pending its appeal. This means that the DHS public charge rule can now be implemented while litigation plays out.
Multiple cases continue, including a case challenging the Department of State’s (DOS) public charge rules and the President’s Health Insurance Proclamation. The preliminary injunction in this case is still in effect nationwide. For now, the resources below remain applicable and CCALAC will keep members apprised of new developments. Please email Lily Dorn at email@example.com with any questions regarding public charge.
National PIF “What Advocates Need to Know Now” Document
Click here to access the most up-to-date information on public charge. Here’s PIF’s updated google document for advocates. (Updated September 2020)
PIF Coalition Public Charge Litigation Tracker
- The PIF coalition developed a google document to track all litigation efforts on Public Charge. Click HERE to access the shared document. (Updated August 2020)
Immigrant Legal Resource Center (ILRC) Practice Alert: Temporary Changes to USCIS in Response to COVID-19
ILRC updated a practice alert which provides a brief summary of temporary changes USCIS has made in response to COVID-19. This practice alert includes that as of September 11, 2020, USCIS may resume implementation of the new public charge rule nationwide. This document will be updated as further changes occur. Click HERE to access the practice alert. (September 2020)
NEW! CA PIF Immigrant Health Community Packet
The California PIF Campaign and health and immigrant rights experts developed a packet for advocates to easily access documents, information, presentations, and sample social media posts to help elevate the message that Undocumented Californians have the right to access public services. Access the community packet HERE.
Public Charge Informational Videos
- Short video on public charge: English | Spanish
- CRLAF: Carga Pública: ¿Qué es y se aplica a mí? 15-minute video explaining the public charge rule in Spanish (April 2020)
- Parte I: ¿Qué es la prueba de carga pública?
- Parte II: ¿A quién se aplica la prueba de carga pública?
- Parte III: ¿Cómo funciona la prueba de carga pública?
California Department of Social Services Public Charge Contact List
Click HERE for a list of all organizations in California that are funded by the state to provide Public Charge legal advice on immigration. (May 2020)
Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights (CHIRLA) 24/7 Hotline
CHIRLA provides a 24-hour immigrant assistance hotline. The hotline is staffed by bilingual referral specialists who understand that in California, immigrants have the right to medical care, without regard to their immigration status. Visit the CHIRLA Immigrant Resources page HERE for more information for immigrant communities on seeking testing and/or medical care for COVID-19. CHIRLA 24/7 Hotline: 1-888-624-4752
California Health Care Foundation (CHCF): Message Testing to Combat Public Charge’s Chilling Effect
- Message Testing to Combat the Public Charge Chilling Effect in CA (PDF)
- Message Testing to Combat the Public Charge Chilling Effect in CA – PPT Slides (PDF)
Public Charge & Health Insurance in California- Western Center on Law & Poverty
- WCLP provides health care practice tips with details on exemptions and exclusions related to public charge: Public Charge and Health Insurance in California (June 2020)
Office of the Governor: California Immigrant Guide (Public Charge & COVID-19)
- Understanding the “public charge” rule (English/Spanish)
- Qualified “public charge” non- profit assistance
- Public Benefits and Public Charge
- Building Skills & Educational Attainment
- COVID-19 Guidance for Immigrant Communities (page updated regularly)
- COVID-19 Prevention Graphics (English/Spanish)
Neighborhood Legal Services LA County (NLSLA)
- Public Charge FAQ
- “Know Your Rights” Flyers – English | Spanish
- Public Charge Hotline (for information or a referral. Free & Confidential): 1-800-433-6251 (LA County)
Public Charge Guide from the California Health and Human Services Agency
Protecting Immigrant Families (PIF)
- Let’s Talk About Public Charge – Resource to help immigrants, mixed-status families, and communities understand the core elements of public charge. Also available in Spanish, Chinese, Hindi, Arabic.
- Know Your Rights: Public Charge Messages for Community Members – Resource provides messages and facts on Public Charge.
- Public Charge: Does This Apply to Me? (English) – Resource provides examples of different hypothetical individuals/situations and analysis of how the new rule would impact them. Also available in Spanish, Chinese, Haitian, Hindi, Hmong, Korean, Arabic Burmese, French, Tagalog, and Vietnamese. (February 2020)
- State Benefits Agencies Public Charge Response Toolkit (April 2020)
- Five Things Immigrants Need to Know About Public Charge Video in English and Spanish.
- Full Public Charge Resource Guide from the California Protecting Immigrant Families Campaign.
- Specialized Resources for Advocates and Service Providers
- Toolkit for State and Local Government Officials (February 2020)
- All PIF Resources
Keep Your Benefits
Public Charge Assessment Tool (Updated January 27, 2020): PIF California and partner organizations, including Legal Aid of San Mateo County, created a screening tool to share with immigrant communities. The tool was developed by benefits experts and immigration lawyers to help individuals understand if “public charge” is likely to apply to them given their immigration status and/or public benefits use.
- Go to KeepyourbenefitsCA.org (English)
- Go to TusBeneficiosPublicos.org (Spanish)
- Access by text at 650-376-8006:
- Text ‘benefits’ for English
- Text ‘libre’ for Spanish
- Text ‘福利’ for Chinese
- Text ‘lợiích’ for Vietnamese
Keep Your Benefits CA: Public Charge Information & Resources
Neighborhood Legal Services of Los Angeles County
Public Charge: Frequently Asked Questions
My Health LA Public Charge Flyers
LIBRE Project Public Charge Flyers
- LIBRE What is Public Charge Flyer (English)
- LIBRE What is Public Charge Flyer (Spanish)
- LIBRE What is Public Charge Flyer (Chinese)
NACHC Health Center Specific Frequently Asked Questions
- CA Dept. of Social Services – Public Charge Contact List
- LA County Office of Immigrant Affairs – Legal Resources
- Ready California Legal Services Directory
Resources from Coalitions & Organizations
- Protecting Immigrant Families Resources
- ILRC Public Charge Outreach Toolkit
- ILRC Detailed Public Charge Rule Overview (March 2020)
- California-Protecting Immigrant Families Coalition Resources
- LA County Office of Immigrant Affairs, Public Charge Resources
- NILC Resources on Public Charge
- CPCA Public Charge Resources
- The LIBRE Project: Public Charge Updates, Information, & Resources
- County Welfare Directors Association of California: Immigration Resources
- CDPH AIDS Drug Assistance Program Answers to Frequently Asked Questions on Public Charge – English | Spanish